The OXO brand has been in the market for years now. Known for its hardwearing plastic and metal kitchen gadgets, the company has recently probed into the territory of electronic appliances with their new line christened “Oxo On.” While this new line initially features three gadgets for coffee, this review will only look at the OXO On Barista Brain 9-Cup Coffee Maker, also called the OXO On 9 Cup Coffee Maker.
While most multifunction kitchen appliances skew towards gimmickry, this multitalented new coffee maker from OXO not only makes brilliant coffee, but it also offers a remarkable range of brewing and water heating options that you will actually love.
What the OXO On 9 Cup coffee brewer can boast of is the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) certification. This nonprofit group develops standards for coffee makers and offers certifications only to models that meet their standards.
Let’s take a look at why this is a brewer that must be taken seriously. You can also watch a demo of its use at the end.
Design and Features of the OXO On Barista Brain 9-Cup Coffee Maker
The coffee maker is highly functional and appealingly designed. For instance, the product’s sleek stainless steel and black plastic finish gives the coffee maker a unique contemporary look that blends flawlessly with your kitchen décor. This means that the OXO On 9 is not just any other coffee maker that you have to put away between uses to keep the kitchen countertop tidy and stylish. In addition, to its credit, the machine’s footprint is designed to take up less countertop space as possible.
Most coffee aficionados will tell you that the slow but steady exposure of heated water brings out the whole aroma and flavor profiles of coffee. This process which is commonly known as the pour-over brewing method is time consuming and therefore not practical for someone who wants to brew up a quick cup of coffee.
Once you have programmed the desired number of cups, the machine takes care of the rest. The temperature and the period of brewing are set automatically to give the best results. This ensures that guesswork is eliminated, so you end up with an excellent cup of coffee. The device also comes with a programmable auto-start that ensures that you get a fresh pot of joe first thing in the morning.
With all these features, the OXO On 9 Cup coffee maker makes an amazing coffee brewer.
- Most parts of this device including the showerhead and the mixing tube are removable and dishwater safe.
- All its materials are BPA free to ensure that your cup of joe does not end up being contaminated with potentially toxic elements found in plastic.
- The brewing consistency of the OXO is unmatched.
- The grinds are evenly saturated to ensure quality brewing.
- The OXO is so quiet during operation that all you hear is a peaceful silent ripple at the end of the brewing.
- The OXO has one button/ knob for all functions. This makes it easy to use except when you have to programme the auto start.
- It features a sturdy, high quality construction with a sleek design.
- The internal microprocessor oversees the temperature, duration and the water capacity.
- Its tall design makes it a poor fit in most kitchen cabinets.
- It takes a longer time to brew because of the numerous brew cycles involved.
- While its plastic components are non-toxic and durably crafted, some people feel that the plastic can vary the taste of the coffee.
- The coffee in the carafe cools after two hours.
- It has no metric measures.