Whether you are planning to make desserts, pizzas, or salads, or need to add perfectly sliced meat to your meal or fry delicious home-made potato chips, you definitely require a slicer or shredder. A knife and cutting board won’t give you very thin and even slices and a mandolin needs you to put in a lot of time and effort, not to mention the risk of scraping off some skin! The Presto Professional SaladShooter Electric Slicer and Shredder is perfect for the job because it does the job for you quickly and painlessly.
This professional electric slicer and shredder can make all your ingredients sliced or shredded in seconds. The unit has interchangeable processing cones that are easy to dissemble and assemble making it effortless to prepare shreds, thick or thin slices and ripple cuts. The food chamber in this professional model is large, so you don’t have to cut up ingredients into small pieces first. However, it is not a huge unit that requires a professional-sized kitchen to house it and it’s not meant to slice blocks of cheese or a meat roast. For that bigger job you should get an electric food slicer.
While many food processors can do these things as well, they create more washing up and take up storage space. If you’re not into making dishes that absolutely require a food processor, you should consider this cheaper alternative. If, however, you’re a bit of a master chef and love to make all kinds of dishes and drinks, you should consider investing in a food processor and blender combination appliance.
You can buy the Presto 02970 Professional SaladShooter from Amazon now or read below first to learn more about it.
Design and Features of the Presto Professional SaladShooter Electric Slicer and Shredder
- Made from high quality plastic, the Presto Salad Shooter boasts a durable build, a clean white exterior, and the product’s logo printed on its side. The entire unit is compact and feels solidly built. As you may have presumed from its sleekness this product is designed for users who want a quality and durable product that they would love to show off in their kitchens.
Weighing 4 pounds and measuring 12.5 x 11.8 x 5 inches, this compact, sleek pro electric slicer/shredder offers added power and capacity.
- It comes with four interchangeable cones for making regular, thick, and wavy slices and one cone for shredding. The shredding cone is specifically designed for shredding cheese and it comes in medium grade shred but you can get fine grade and thicker grade shredders as additional accessories if required. You can also use it to chop nuts, make bread or cracker crumbs or grate chocolate or carrots.
- The appliance comes with a five-foot power cord that gives enough leeway to move around in the kitchen. This means you do not have to prepare your salad right where there is a socket. To reduce the risk of electrocution, the unit comes with a polarized plug that is intended to fit into a polarized outlet- one way.
- The appliance is also very easy to use and there is no complex setup or assembly needed. To use the machine, simply attach the food chamber, select the slicing/shredding cone you want, lock it in, and ensure that all the accessories are locked into place. Then insert your ingredients into the food chamber and push with the food guide. Point the machine where you want the slices or shreds to go. For example, point the chute into a salad bowl and the sliced or shredded ingredients shoot straight out into the bowl.
- If you are working on veggies, it turns out very thin slices. However, you can get slightly thicker slices by adding more pressure on the food guide.
- Since the appliance is designed with safety in mind, proper assembly is important and thus the food chamber assembly cannot be removed from the motorized base unless the switch is off. Also, to prevent harm to yourself, avoid using your hands to push food through the food chamber but instead use the food guide. Keep your hands away from the slicing chute when the appliance is in operation.
- The appliance is also very easy to clean and maintain. You can remove food particles effortlessly after use. The funnel shaped cutter tends to build up bits of food under the blades so you need to clean between uses. You can use a dishwasher to clean since all the non-electric parts are dishwasher safe. The motor base can be wiped clean. Once clean, you can store the unit and parts anywhere in the kitchen, even in a drawer since it is compact and can fit anywhere.
- Two-year limited warranty for the parts.
- 120 Volts AC, 60 Hz only
For best slicing and shredding results, it is important that:
- You chop ingredients into sizes that fit effortlessly into the food chamber. For small ingredients, use the adjustable food guide. For large ingredients like potatoes, some may fit as is, but you may find that you have to cut larger potatoes into two first because of the size of the food chamber. Large ingredients may become wedged in the food chamber, preventing proper discharge.
- Load ingredients into the food chamber upright for short slices or horizontally for elongated slices.
- Use even pressure to push food through the food chamber.
- Ingredients are shredded or sliced when fresh and firm. Ingredients such as semi-soft cheese are better refrigerated overnight or frozen for not less than thirty minutes before shredding. Soft processed cheese is not recommended as it may clog the appliance.
- Overripe fruits such as strawberries should be placed in a refrigerator before slicing. Others with tough skins, such as apples, should be peeled prior to slicing or shredding.
Buy the Presto Professional SaladShooter now or read on to find out what users love and dislike about it.
- Very easy to use and clean and very durable.
- Eliminates the need for you to add muscle or risk skinning your knuckles when you slice and shred manually.
- Lets you put together a dish very quickly.
- Easy to dissemble and assemble, especially when switching to a desired cone.
- When not in operation, storing the Presto Salad Shooter is no problem.
- It is good value for money.
- It is limited to slicing/shredding firm foods.
- For fine or large gratings, you will need to get extra cones.
- Plastic parts may be stained after processing certain foods such as beetroots.
- The retaining collar attaches with 3 small plastic tabs making it prone to breaking off.
- The unit can be loud when in operation though it is not really a major issue because it works quickly.
See how it works